Waverly Avenue School’s
Open School NightTitle I AIS Math Presentation
What is “Title I”?
○ Funds to provide programs to help children who are struggling in reading and math.
○ Extra help (in addition to what they learn in the classroom) in both math and reading.
Assessments in Mathematics
Assessments are used to help teachers determine if a student is understanding the content presented in the classroom. Assessments help teachers differentiate inst4ruction based on student need.
○ New York State Assessment in Mathematics Grades 3,4,5.
○ Universal District Grade Level Screener & Matrix for grades 1, 2, 3
○ Classroom Topic Tests
○ i-Ready Math Diagnostic Assessments
If a child does not reach a certain level when they take an assessment, we consider them for additional help in our Title 1/AIS program
Four Proficiency Levels:
- Below Basic
Our goal (and the State’s goal) is for your child to reach the “Proficient” level.
Title 1 Academic Intervention Services in Mathematics
Students in Grades 4 and 5 qualify if their NYS Math Assessment Score is a 1 or a low 2. Students in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade are assessed using a Universal Grade Level Screener & Matrix.
What is it?
Small group instruction based on the curriculum, and the specific individual skills of the students.
Our 1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th and 5th graders attend Remedial Math two times a week for about 30 minutes per session. Before School AIS in Mathematics is also provided in addition to services with in the school day. Please see my website for additional information and updates.